- Our facility. We are happy to be able to provide a spacious and bright child centered space to house our preschool. The Big Flats United Methodist Church, as part of their outreach, graciously allows us to use the entire downstairs of the church. We have access to three dedicated classrooms for our circle time, directed activities and free play, a large open space for center imaginative play, snacking, music and movement, storytelling and special guests, a kitchen, two bathrooms and two wonderful outdoor playgrounds.
- Our staff. The majority of our staff has worked together for over 7 years. This longevity provides consistency and continuity for the children. The children know us, they feel comfortable with us and they feel safe with us. Our staff is invested, committed and dedicated to our school. Between us, we have 14 of our own children, all of which have attended Big Flats Preschool! We maintain some of the lowest student to teacher ratios in the area so that we have the opportunity to get to know each child personally. We are CPR and Epi-Pen trained, attend Early Childhood training opportunities and research many recent trends in Early Childhood to stay current in the field. In addition to our many years of working in Early Childhood, several of our staff also have degrees in Education.
- Our families. Big Flats Preschool fosters a true sense of community to those who attend. We are a small, close knit group with wonderful kids and terrific parents, grandparents and caregivers! Many days you will find parents chatting in the halls, making plans for a play date or asking each other's opinion on things. The children become good friends and so do the families. Other parents experiencing the same milestones, challenges and accomplishments are the best resources for families. We are happy to provide a place that promotes and encourages these connections.
- Our day. A typical half day preschool program ranges from 1.5 to 3 hours a day. Big Flats Preschool is one of the few preschools in the area that offers a 3 hour a day program. Additionally, we are one of the few preschools that also offers a program for two year old learners. Our two year old program runs for 2 hours a day but can be extended to 3 hours. We are also flexible in the number of days your child can attend. We allow you to chose what is right, comfortable and affordable for your family.
- Our curriculum. Our curriculum is a wonderful mix of play based and hands on learning. We offer a theme based curriculum that gives us the opportunity to change and rotate our themes on a yearly basis so that no two years are exactly alike! The children are engaged in hands on learning through several short theme based activities and a circle time. The remainder of their day is spent learning through play, a proven best method for learning at this age. The toys and activities provided are changed on a frequent basis so that children never become bored with any particular area or activity. We have found that this atmosphere works perfectly for our students!
These are just a few of the wonderful qualities that we feel make our school rise to the top. If you are interested in hearing more about our programs, please call us today to set up a tour and see for yourself what we are all about!